My go-to outfit has always been a solid-color t-shirt or tank and jeans (currently this tee and this tank...I have each in 4-5 colors. I'm a creature of habit).
As I'm exploring dressing up more on a daily basis, I've learned a few easy tips on making a basic t-shirt and jeans look a little less basic from the bottom up and found some affordable pieces to help you on your way, too.
1. Forbid the flip flops and most sneakers. Just about any non-flip flop and sneaker option can make a t-shirt and jeans look instantly more polished.
2. Just wear jewels. A statement necklace adds an embellished collar and a chunky watch anchors the look.
3. Throw on a layer. A fun blazer or cardigan turns your t-shirt and jeans into something else.
4. Scarf it up. We all know scarves are a great accessory when it's less than pleasant out, but a gauzy or silky one can make the seasonal transition (or switch it out for a sarong on the beach).
5. Use your head. Not just hair accessories and hats, but fun hairstyles, too. I always feel more put together when I have a good hair day. Check out some reader hairstyles and various hairdos I've worn over this blog's life. For other hair ideas, I really like the tutorials on the Beauty Department and YouTube.
Some of my t-shirt and jean-based outfits:
How do you dress up a t-shirt and jeans? Or do you have a different go-to casual combination?